The perks of ridiculous heat


This week was good!  We had 35 lessons.  None of our investigators are progressing because no one goes to church or reads.  Lots of people don’t know how to read, so its hard to teach that reading the scriptures is a commandment.  And I just want them to realize that the effort is WORTH IT!  Give a little and you’ll get A LOT back!

I’ve discovered some perks about the ridiculous heat.  So I’ve made a list:

1.  Nutella spreads much easier when it’s hot - allowing for a thin and even coat - nearly impossible in regular temperatures.
2.  It’s so humid here I don’t have to use lotion or chapstick ( I still use chapstick once or twice a day out of habit)
3.  Mascara doesn’t clump as easily - so my eyelashes are always on point.
4.  Even though there’s only one knob on our faucet that works (COLD) - it’s never cold.  At night water is hot and during the day it’s the same       temperature as outside.
5.  I have only been cold one time since I’ve been here - on the bus to Merida at 5:30AM.  There was air conditioning and it wasn’t packed like usual.

The bugs here Looooove the blood of guerritas (white girls).  I’m glad that polka dot is my favorite pattern (and also that I like the Japanese flag) because my legs have so many red spots.  I got at least 15 in one day last week.  The one day I forgot to put on bug spray.

Speaking of bugs, did you know that COCKROACHES FLY????  They are literally the worst thing ever! There’s a joke that no one here sings “All Creatures of our God and King”….and for good reason!

Food…. We had no soup this week.  That was sad because soup is better than everything else here.  I ate 4 slices of tomato plain the other day.  It was really, really hard.  Never have I ever eaten tomato plain or in slice form!  We get beans quite often but they are like blended so it’s just like bean soup.  Not my favorite.  So everyone here eats everything with either a spoon or their hands and tortillas.  Meat on a bone in soup?  Cut it with a spoon.  It’s very difficult haha!  There are these homemade otter pop things called saborines.  They’re like real fruit and stuff and they are DELICIOUS!  I have to get coconut every time because I always spill on myself and coconut is white so it doesn’t stain, lol! 

Spanish is getting better.  I understand waaay more than I can say.  I usually know what’s going on.  A lot of people can’t understand me because their Spanish isn’t very good and neither is mine!  They speak Maya better- mostly old people.  Sometimes when I share something in a lesson los viejitos (old people) will say to my comp “Su Ingles es my bonito” (Her English is very pretty) when I’m trying to speak Spanish!!  Haha I sound straight gringa - it’s whatevs! 

It rained so much Wednesday!  So much that the road on a hill corroded and now there’s ravines and crevaces (read that cre-vah-sez).  It’s crazy!

Yesterday was Hermana Romero’s birthday!  Some ward members brought her a cake and some members from her first area drove 2 1/2 hours from Campeche!  They gave us lots of food including DONUTS - Krispy Kremes!  It was glorious.  So that was fun, she’s 21!

One of the first things we share with contacts (people that we just start talking to in the streets) is the message of eternal families.  We always ask if the person wants to be with their family forever and they always say yes!  And then we tell them about temples and covenants and promises with God!  This is the end goal that everyone wants!  Who doesn’t want to live with their Heavenly Father as a family in His kingdom forever?  And the only way we can do that is through covenants in the Lord’s holy temple.  I’m so grateful that I have an eternal family!  I hope to be able to brings some families to this knowledge and help them be sealed for eternity!

Right now the work is slow.  We find people who have potential but work on Sunday, or won’t stop drinking.  Lots of people just like listen to the Palabra de Dios and go on with the rest of their lives doing the same things as usual.  The gospel will change your life if YOU change your life.  And that is something that is hard for many to understand!

If you’re not happy with your life GO AND CHANGE IT!

I love you all!
Love,

Hermana Keeler


Tigre and his triciclo.  This is how we get around Ox (Oxkutzcab)


This little neighborhood is called la hermita... its this row of houses with stone stairs.  The houses are very primitive, many are made of sticks and leaves.  It's crazy.

No comments