Hermanas at the Zoo



Wow!  We almost never have time to write now!  We have a lot more responsibilities now.  We’re super busy.  I feel like we have like no time!  This change is interesting because I feel like the days go by really fast and the weeks are slow.  Totally the opposite of the rest of my mission.  Who knows why!

But we did leader-y things this week!  We had a zone conference this week and Hermana Espinoza and I taught like half of it!  We were SUPER NERVOUS but it turned out well.  We talked about the Holy Ghost.  The Holy Ghost (the Spirit of God) is something that you can’t explain with words.  You have to experience it!  It was really weird going to a zone conference to teach and not be taught...but I still learned a bunch because missionaries like to comment and stuff.

Also this week we did companion exchanges.  We traded companions with some other sisters in the zone for a day and kind of trained them I guess?  I didn’t really know what to do haha.  But it turned out okay.  I don’t really know my area super well yet and I was really nervous about having to navigate the streets and buses alone.  We only got lost like twice but we found our way with a bit of walking and a few phone calls.  But it was fun.  I was with Hermana Aguilar, my little sister in the mission.  Her trainer was also Hermana Romero (in the mish we say mom for our first companion/trainer).

On Thursday we had another zone conference but this time with two zones and President Ruiz and the assistants and everybody.  And Hermana Espinoza and I had to teach AGAIN!  We had to prepare another message about the Holy Ghost.  We thought about using the same talk as before, haha but no, we prepared another.

We talked about two stories in the Bible.  I’ve come to realize that one of my talents is storytelling.  I LOVE to tell stories.  So my comp and I told the stories of Samuel and Elijah.  If you haven’t read them- go do it!  1 Kings 18:17-19:18 and 1 Samuel 3.  I don’t have time to write them and explain them, but basically these two prophets receive answers from God through the Holy Ghost.  And their experiences are totally different and way cool!  Guys, do you realize how cool the scriptures are?  The stories rock!  It’s like an action movie, no lie!

So here in the city, the buses are legit insane.  Campeche is way more laid back then Merida and I had forgotten about all the movement here.  Everyone drives SO FAST!  But there are lanes on the road here, so that’s a bit better than Campeche haha!  But all the bus drivers are crazy.  The other day, I got off the bus and Hermana Espinoza was behind me and it started driving away with her in the stairs!  The look on her face was priceless, she was so scared!   She forgot that to get off all you have to do is yell “baja!’ and he’ll stop.  But she momentarily thought we were going to be separated.  So when the bus started driving away, I yelled “hey!” really loudly and the driver stopped.  Hermana Espinoza was very relieved!

I love, love, love being a missionary during holidays.  The people are more interested in what we have to say.  Most people here are Catholic so they have a basic idea of who is Christ and usually know the real reasons for the holidays.  Here La Semana Santa is a big deal.  Easter isn’t just a day, but a whole week!  Everyone has a break from school and work and they all go to the beach.  Like everyone!  Lots of churches do a representation of the crucifixion and its really scary.  In big cities they actually nail someone to a cross.  The person who plays Jesus trains for a year carrying the cross and everything.  It’s really crazy.  And sad.

One of the many things that I love about the Gospel is that everything is so positive.  Instead of focusing on Jesus’ suffering, agony, pain and death, we focus on the simple truth that He died, was resurrected and lives today.  The angel said to Mary Magdalene that morning “Why seek ye the living among the dead?  He is not here, but is risen” Luke 24:5-6.  And because He lives, we can all live again.  We have the opportunity to be born again spiritually and to live eternally because of Him.  He is the King of Kings.  The Redeemer of the World.  The shepherd of my untamed soul.  And the reason that I’m here.

I love all of you!  Have a great week!
Love,
Hermana Keeler











No comments